Monday, August 13, 2012

Easy, Cheap, Sparkly Cake Stand!

I've always wanted a cute cake stand, but they are SO EXPENSIVE and not generally as cute as I would like. So I decided to make one!

This is what I used:

Glass taper candle holder from the dollar store
Cute melamine plate - on clearance for a dollar at CVS
Multipurpose adhesive
Nail polish


This is so incredibly easy it's a wonder I didn't think of it sooner.

First, I cleaned the plate and the candle holder in warm soapy water. I used a sanding block to roughen up the top edge of the candle holder a bit.
I flipped over the plate and locate the center. I was lucky - there was an imprint right in the center of the plate.
I ran a bead of adhesive around the top edge of the candle holder. I let mine sit a few minutes, according to the adhesive directions.
Then I flipped the candle holder upside down and centered it on the back of the plate. I put a little pressure on it for a minute, then let it dry according to the adhesive directions.
Meanwhile, I got out my nail polish. I chose two blue shades I had used for another craft project that, let's face it, I was unlikely to use on my nails. I had gotten them at Walgreen's on clearance for $2 each. One was a dark pearly blue, the other a lighter blue glitter. And a clearcoat.
Once the glue dried. I applied my first coat of the pearly blue. I painted in section to get the most even coverage. Since the color is somewhat opaque, it didn't really cover completely with the first coat.
For some reason the nail polish seemed to dry much more quickly on the candle holder than it usually does on my nails. I was able to put on three coats in about a half an hour.
I then added two coats of the glitter polish. It looked great without, but I wanted some extra sparkle. Then two coats of clear. I then let the whole thing dry overnight. Now the nail polish is hard as a rock.
It turned out awesome. I think I'll probably make a couple more for different seasons. I'm thinking maybe a glittery brown for fall and a glittery cranberry for winter. I just have to find some cute plates!
I definitely plan to handwash this.

Look how sparkly!

No comments:

Post a Comment