Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lamp Base Update: Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze!

Since I'm off for the summer, I usually make a huge list of various organizational/home improvement projects that I want to tackle while I have the time.  The reality is, there is simply no time to dive into them during the school year. As soon as July hits, I feel the pressure start: the summer is slipping away and I'm stressing out about getting all of my projects done. The irony is that these projects are supposed to be RELAXING.

Taped up good
Today's project was revamping the hideous silver lamp bases that had been sitting in my master bedroom for six years. Actually, the lamp bases weren't hideous.  They were just, well, SILVER. I'm not sure why I purchased them in the first place, since all of the metal in the room is more of an aged bronzey color. They were perfectly good lamps, so I seriously couldn't justify just throwing them out. 

Then I went downstairs and saw my new bestie, Rustoleum American Accents Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze.  I had just finished a clay saucer coaster project with this that I LOVED.  Why not try it on the lamps and see what happens? After all, it says it's for metal, among other things, so I shouldn't even have to prime anything.
After one THIN coat

First, I removed the bulbs and lampshades, then placed the lamps on  brown paper bag. I taped down the cords so I wouldn't paint them. Then I taped off the little metal part where you screw in the bulb. The key here is thin coats. It can get tricky because the lamp base has a lot of curvy parts. I held another paper bag behind the lamp bases when spraying them horizontally. This is after one coat.  Mostly covered, but not exactly evenly.

 Let dry 30 minutes. Then another 2 thin coats, followed 2 thin clear coats. I let all that dry a couple of hours before putting the light bulbs and shades back on.
Oooh pretty!
Can I just say that this rustoleum Metallic comes in about seven different shades and later this summer I am going to tackle repainting my door hinges and door knobs, and maybe even my faucets! So pretty, and so much better than plain old silver or brass.




No comments:

Post a Comment